Full Professor of Physics
Director, Laboratory for Advanced Materials and Sensor Technologies
University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33620
Ph: 813-974-4322; E-mail: email@example.com
- 2000: B.S. (Solid State Physics) Hanoi National University, Vietnam
- 2003: M.S. (Applied Physics) Chungbuk National University, South Korea
- 2006: Ph.D. (Engineering Physics) University of Bristol, United Kingdom
- 2019-present: Full Professor (Permanent), Physics Dept., University of South Florida, USA
- 2015-2019: Associate Professor, Physics Dept., University of South Florida, USA
- 2010-2015: Assistant Professor (Research), Physics Dept., University of South Florida, USA
- 2008-2010: Senior Research Associate, Physics Dept., University of South Florida, USA
- 2006-2007: Postdoctoral Fellow, ACCIS, University of Bristol, UK
Publications (selected from over 270 peer-reviewed publications), h-index: 45 from Google Scholar:
- â€œGiant Magnetoimpedance Materials: Fundamentals and Applicationsâ€ -H. Phan* and H. X. Peng, Invited review paper in Progress in Materials Science 53, 323 (2008); over 700 citations - 5 year impact factor: 33.5.
- â€œReview of the Magnetocaloric Effect in Manganite Materialsâ€-H. Phan* and S. C. Yu, Invited review paper in Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 308, 325 (2007); over 1000 citations - the most cited article of the year 2012 in this journal.
- â€œExchange Bias Effects in Iron Oxide Based Nanoparticle Systems (Featured Review Article)â€ - H. Phan*, J. Alonso, H. Khurshid, P. Lampen-Kelley, S. Chardra, K. Stojak, Z.N. Porshokouh, R. Das, Ã’. Iglesias, and H. Srikanth, Nanomaterials 6, 221 (2016).
- â€œA new contactless magneto-LC resonance technology for real time respiratory motion monitoringâ€ - O. Thiabgoh, T. Eggers, and H. Phan*, Sensors and Actuators A 265, 120 (2017).
- â€œCooling achieved by rotating an anisotropic superconductor in a constant magnetic field: A new perspectiveâ€ - H. Phan* and D. Mandrus, AIP Advances 6, 125022 (2016).
- â€œEnhanced refrigerant capacity in Gd-Al-Co microwires with a biphase nanocrystalline/amorphous structureâ€ - H.X. Shen, D.W. Xing, J.L. SÃ¡nchez Llamazares, C.F. SÃ¡nchez-ValdÃ©s, H. Belliveau, H. Wang, F.X. Qin, Y.F. Liu, J.F. Sun, and H. Phan*, Applied Physics Letters 108, 092403 (2016).
- â€œEnhanced magnetic anisotropy and hyperthermia in multi-functional manganese ferrite/graphene oxide hybrid nanostructuresâ€ - A.T. Le, C.D. Giang, V.N. Phan, J. Alonso, J. Devkota, H. Srikanth, and H. Phan*, Nanotechnology 27, 155707 (2016).
- â€œCritical Behavior and Macroscopic Phase Diagram of the Monoaxial Chiral Helimagnet Cr1/3NbS2â€ - E. Clements, R. Das, L. Li, Paula J. L. Kelley, H. Phan*, V. Keppens, D. Mandrus, and H. Srikanth, Nature: Scientific Reports 7, 6545 (2017).
- â€œRelating surface roughness and magnetic domain structure to giant magneto-impedance of Co-rich melt-extracted microwires,â€ - S.D. Jiang, T. Eggers, O. Thiabgoh, D.W. Xing, W. D. Fei, H. X. Shen, J. S. Liu, J.R. Zhang, W.B. Fang, J.F. Sun, H. Srikanth, and H. Phan*, Nature: Scientific Reports 7, 46253, (2017).
- â€œStrong Room Temperature Ferromagnetism in VSe2 Monolayers on van der Waals substratesâ€ - M. Bonilla, S. Kolekar, Y.J. Ma, H. Coy Diaz, V. Kalappattil, R. Das, T. Eggers, H.R. Gutierrez, H. Phan*, and M. Batzill*, Nature Nanotechnology 13, 289 (2018).
Synergistic Activities, Distinctions, and Selected Achievements
- The Outstanding Research Achievement Awards (2017, 2019), USF
- The Outstanding Graduate Faculty Mentor Award (2018), USF
- The Medal for The Development Cause of Vietnam National University - Hanoi, 2018
- Editor, Journal of Electronic Materials, Springer Publisher (IF = 1.7; 2018-present)
- Editor, Applied Sciences, MDPI Publisher (IF = 2.2; 2018-present)
- Managing Editor, Journal of Science: Advanced Materials and Devices, Elsevier Publisher (Anticipated IF = 3; 2016-present)
- Editorial Board Member, Nature: Scientific Reports, Nature Springer Publisher (IF = 4.122, 2018-present)
- Guest Editor for Special Issues, Nanomaterials, Sensors, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Journal of Electronic Materials, and Journal of Applied Physics
- Conference Chair, The 8th Energy Materials Nanotechnology (EMN) Fall Meeting, November 22 - 25, 2014, Orlando, USA; The 2019 Hanoi International Symposium on Advanced Materials and Devices, January 10 - 12, 2019, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Funded grants, over $3,000,000.00 received as PI and co-PI
- Current postdoctoral and visiting scholars: Eleanor Clements
- Current graduate students: Valery Ortiz Jimenez* (PhD), Ms. Yen Pham* (PhD), Mr. Joshua Robles (PhD), Ms. R. Pokharel Madhogaria (PhD), and Ms. Nguyen Thi My Duc* (PhD), and C.M. Hung (MS)
- Current undergraduate students: Mr Michael Ostroff (USF, 2019)
- Students graduated: Eleanor Clements (Ph.D. dissertation, 2019), Dr. Ongard Thiabgoh* (Ph.D. dissertation, 2018); Dr. Tatiana Eggers* (Ph.D. dissertation, 2018); Dr. Vijaysankar Kalappattil (Ph.D. dissertation, 2018); Mr. Dao Son Lam* (Ph.D. dissertation, 2018); Dr. Sida Jiang* (Ph.D. dissertation, 2018); Dr. Hillary Belliveau* (Ph.D. dissertation, 2016); Dr. Zohreh Nemati Porshokouh (Ph.D. dissertation, 2016); Dr. Kristen Stojak (Ph.D. dissertation, 2016); Dr. Paula Lampen (Ph.D. dissertation, 2015); Dr. Jagannath Devkota* (Ph.D. dissertation, 2015); Dr. Nicholas Bingham (Ph.D. dissertation, 2013); Dr. Anurag Chaturvedi (Ph.D. dissertation, 2011); Dr. Hongxian Shen (Ph.D. dissertation, 2017, jointly with Prof. J.F. Sun at HIT); Mr. C. Witanachchi* (B.S., 2018); Ms. S. Beyley* (High school student, 2017); Mr. Jason Cardarelli* (B.S. honor thesis, 2018); Ms. Israel Deborah* (B.S. honor thesis, 2016); Mr. Brian Casas (M.S. thesis, 2015); Mr. Rupin Singh* (B.S. honor thesis, 2015), Ms. Kristen Stojak (M.S. thesis, 2013); Ms. A. Stephan* (B.S., 2016); Mr. A. Galati* (B.S., 2016); Mr. Jeff Wingo (B.S., 2014); Mr. Ramon Alejandro Ruiz (B.S., 2013); Ms. Trang Tran* (B.S. research, 2012-2013), Mr. Nicholas Laurita (B.S., June 2011)
- Former postdoctoral & visiting researchers: Raja Das (3/2014-5/2018); Mr. F. Andrejka*, Visiting Ph.D. student (01 â€“ 04, 2018); Ms. Nguyen Thi My Duc*, Visiting Ph.D. student (09/2017-03/2018); Dr. Javier Alonso (12/2014-12/2016); Ms. Natalia Rinaldi, Visiting PhD student, (09-12/2015); Mr. Hongxian Shen*, Visiting Ph.D. student (10/2014-10/2015); Dr. Hafsa Khurshid (11/2011-05/2015), Dr. Anis Biswas (11/2011 â€“ 11/2013); Dr. Sayan Chandra (11/2013 â€“ 06/2014); Dr. Ahmed Talaat*, Visiting Ph.D. student (03-06/2015); Mr. Jonathan Cruz Vargas, Visiting M.S. student (03-06/2015); Dr. Xueling Hou*, Visiting Scientist, (03/01, 2014 â€“ 03/30, 2015); Mr. Lam Dao*, Visiting Ph.D. student (07/01 â€“ 12/30, 2014); Dr. Peng Zhang*, Visiting Ph.D. student (01/ 20 â€“ 02/11, 2013); Mr. Yiyin Yu*, Visiting researcher (10/01 â€“ 04/30, 2013); Dr. Faxiang Qin*, Visiting scientist (12/10-28, 2012); Dr. Dang Thi Minh Hue, Visiting Ph.D. student (07/04 â€“ 10/03, 2012); Dr. Ngo Thi Thu Huong, Visiting scientist (06-08, 2011); Dr. R. Caballero-Flores, Visiting scientist (07/01 â€“ 09/30, 2011); Dr. Adriana I. Figueroa, Visiting Ph.D. student (04-07, 2010)
- REU students: Baylee Senator (06/01- 08/01, 2019); Ms. Enya Silva (06/01- 08/01, 2019); Mr. Jake Poler* (06/01- 08/01, 2018); Ms. Elizabeth Fuller (06/01- 08/01, 2018); Ms. Claire Albrecht* (06/01- 08/04, 2017), Ms. Caroline Collins (06/01- 08/04, 2017), Ms. M. Lassell (06/01- 08/04, 2016), Ms. D. Honstain* (06/01- 08/04, 2016), Ms. Valery Ortiz Jimenez* (06/01- 08/04, 2015), Ms. Evelyn Vila* (06/01- 08/04, 2015), Mr. David Torres (06/01- 08/04, 2015), Ms. Izzi Berman* (06/01- 08/04, 2014), Mr. Luis Martinez (06/01- 08/04, 2014), Mr. Jeff Wingo (06/01 â€“ 08/02, 2013); Ms. Rosemary Sheldon (06/01 â€“ 08/05, 2011). (*Corresponding author or major supervisor).